Custom Search
3rd June 2010, 04:48 PM
cimex
Forum Supporter

Hiya

Hi all, new here so thought I'd pop in and say hello. Just fell heir to a 92 GS500E which runs great but is a bit tired cosmetically so no doubt I'll be bending your ears for hints, tips, advice etc.
3rd June 2010, 08:44 PM
cimex
Forum Supporter

some pics:

3rd June 2010, 09:09 PM
Woz
Forum Supporter

Welcome.

The factory fitted rust isn't as bad as it could for an 18 year old. Watch those forks though. It's encroaching on the area of travel which will kill the seals on a regular basis.
4th June 2010, 12:46 AM
Lewis1_2_3
Forum Supporter

I think its time to crack open the tin of hammerite

Welcome to the forums

Lew ;)

Go with grey? You can be on your way
4th June 2010, 10:49 AM
Ayrshire Joe
Forum Supporter

Hello and welcome Cimex, like the guy's say watch the rust on the forks. Just some tlc should bring her up nice. Does she run ok? If your just along the road from me (Stewarton/Beith) I could lend a hand and advice is free if you subscribe/well its only £3

I'm not grumpy, just thinking
4th June 2010, 02:43 PM
cimex
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the welcome guys. The fork seals are well and truly perished so they're top of the list to get done. The engine runs fine - needs a battery, brake pads, forks serviced and a few gallons of Forth rail bridge paint on the frame!
Joe - I have subscribed and yeah I'm in Stewarton, thanks for the offer!!!
7th June 2010, 01:22 PM
woodie
Forum Supporter

WIRE BRUSH AND DETTOL ! That just about cures anything !

looks like a lot of cosmetic work needs doing, and a goodly amount of WD40, Elbow grease and brute force.

Frame Silver = SMOOTHRITE silver spray cans. Only took one can to do my whole frame and the dreaded meral worm still hasn't started to show through after 3 years. Give it a good strip down and clean up, you should have a little bike.

if you need any advice just ask....

Anyways, I imagine there are now enough members North of "The Wall" to hold a McSquirrel Meat ! how abiout it Joe ! ?
7th June 2010, 02:01 PM
cimex
Forum Supporter

WD40, elbow grease, wire brush, smoothrite........add a few curses at skinned knuckles and fasteners that seem to be made of marshmallow and that pretty much summed up my weekend. Frame is now on the way to being rustfree and black - few more days should see that part finished. Plenty more to be getting on with after that though
7th June 2010, 02:15 PM
woodie
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimex
WD40, elbow grease, wire brush, smoothrite........add a few curses at skinned knuckles and fasteners that seem to be made of marshmallow and that pretty much summed up my weekend. Frame is now on the way to being rustfree and black - few more days should see that part finished. Plenty more to be getting on with after that though
Did no-one warn you about the "Quality" fasteners as fitted by Suzuki as standard. I think 80% of the ones on "Dubious" are now replaced with Hex heads.. you have two big things to look forward to

1) Removing the bolts from the Exhaust Headers
2) removing the front engine mount bolt

Good Luck !

Last edited by woodie; 8th June 2010 at 04:14 PM.
7th June 2010, 05:16 PM
Daveparker07
Forum Supporter

Hello Cimex

Hello Cimex and welcome to the Forum.

Half the fun of having one of these little beaut's is the joy of gettin em back to decent condition.
Mine all started so well, until I found out that the clutch was slipping, the chain had a huge tight spot in it, the rear tyre was completely the wrong size and that the Nexxus exhaust had holes drilled in it for more noise which made it run like a bag of shite.
Still, good things about GS's, there are loads out there, so spares are easy to get , Ebay and Wemoto are my favourites. R6 Race cans fit and sound lovely.
Mine now has a Dyno jet kit, race can and KnN filter on it which were all relatively easy to do..
Finally there are loads of hints and tips on this forum so enjoy.
8th June 2010, 12:24 PM
cimex
Forum Supporter

Thanks again for the welcome all, seems a nice, friendly site!