Custom Search
24th March 2010, 09:12 AM
craig39

wont start

Hi folks new here so hello, a wee prob with my 1998 gs500e, the bike sometimes done the click click click and wouldnt start but only intermitenet, any way was told it may be starter relay , so i replaced it , nothing , all lights indicators horn all work but not a thing on the start button , which ive dissasembled to check and looks ok, brand new fuse to, anybody advise me on what this may be, many thanks ..sorry done this twice oops...
24th March 2010, 01:20 PM
Pringle
Forum Supporter

i had this problem with my '99 model just before christmas, turns out the solenoid was knackered.
did you buy a brand new one, or second hand..?

wemoto.com, have them brand new for £30 and that's your best bet... i got one off ebay that was knackered also

if you're happy your solenoid works (you can test it with a multimeter whilst the ignitions on, and your pressing the start button). i'd look at replacing the starter motor next

...i'd wait for some other feedback as well before working out what you want to do =)
24th March 2010, 08:29 PM
woodie
Forum Supporter

quickly flick a screwdriver over the solanoid connections and see if it turns the starter, if it still clicks then take the connections off and clean up and try again, if no joy then its probably starter, take the starter out and do a bench test with battery connected to the live and put the earth to the body

BTW when you use the screwdriver over the solanoid just quickly flick it over as you can weld the scredriver to it if you leave it to long
27th March 2010, 03:22 PM
monkeybiker
Regular Forum Member

I can't believe no one has suggested the battery may be flat.

Have you checked the voltage across the battery? If it keeps going flat and your using the bike regually either there is a fault with the charging system
(bad connection,faulty alternator or regulator) or it needs a new battery.
27th March 2010, 06:12 PM
Lewis1_2_3
Forum Supporter

Well the lights, indicators and horn all work.

Could the battery be flat ?

Lew ;)
27th March 2010, 07:20 PM
monkeybiker
Regular Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis1_2_3
Well the lights, indicators and horn all work.

Could the battery be flat ?

Lew ;)
It might not have anough voltage to turn the engine but anough for the lights.

The battery might be fine but it's the first thing I would check.
27th March 2010, 07:53 PM
woodie
Forum Supporter

Worth checking the battery but having said that a quick check is try and start the bike with the lights on main beam. If the lights dim when trying to start it might be OK but if tghey go out then the Battery is "Donald" . I think from Craig39's description he is getting nothing from the starter but the click,click,click of the solenoid or relay.
Yesterday, 12:12 AM
phil_in_swansea
Forum Supporter

If you don't have a multimeter then I suggest you buy one as they pay for themselves in no time. Second best outlay is the £3 for this site - there are at least one or two great threads on here that I have used to test the voltage on my battery - at stand, on running, and at 5k revs, great for testing various problems.
Batteries can be very unpredictable but voltmeters don't lie!
Good Luck
Phil