Custom Search

Forums > Main Category > New Members

3rd May 2011, 03:41 PM
Ayrshire Joe
Regular Forum Contributor

cool yeah me thinks Callander, Perthshire is up ther or Troon? Hmmm!!!! The Northern branch, Southern branch and the Scottish Branch????

I'm not grumpy, just thinking
3rd May 2011, 03:59 PM
Woz
Forum Moderator

We already have colour wars, the last thing we need are splinter groups starting turf wars. We've already had that in the past (if you're lurking Hodgy, you remember).
3rd May 2011, 04:02 PM
Ayrshire Joe

I'd never Woz! The forces are as bad matey Turf wars???? Copse wars maybe???

3rd May 2011, 05:33 PM
bill
GS500 Guru

This needs to be nipped in the bud.

Or a clear out, root and branch.

Truth over Chaos

Your Honour Lies in Loyalty

Ride a CBR600F and VFR400 NC30

" No, it's full of haddock and things for tomorrow"
3rd May 2011, 05:44 PM
Ayrshire Joe

Bill cool link/bud on Were all human red squirrel worshipers

4th May 2011, 06:29 PM
tunedwolf

Smile

Hey guys,

Ok, a few more piccies, give you guys a beter idea of where I'm starting off with this...

My worst fears have come to fruition yesterday. Now that I have started pulling bits off and having a closer look at what's going to need done, I realised very quickly that some nugget has hand painted the frame with silver hammerite. My all time pet peeve...

Of course they couldn't stop there...they also had to paint the forks, hoses, brackets and just about anything else that was sticking out. Not forgetting of course, the obligatory dribbling it on to the engine covers etc, one of which would appear to have a hole in the centre covered up with black tape. The hole seems perfectly round, so I'm guessing something is meant to be fitted over it. I didn't pull the tape off for fear of having oil spilling everywhere. What can I say, I had my "good" jeans on

Oh and also not forgetting the fuel lines being wrapped with insulating tape to stop them leaking. Frankly I'm surprised the bloke I bought it from didn't go up in smoke along with the bike...

So now I have a dilema...do I pretend I don't see it and just get the rest of the bike in shape for the road, or do I go the "complete" pull it apart and rebuild it route.

With the latter in mind, as I'm the kind that believes there's only two ways of doing a job, i.e. alright or all wrong, what do you think about stripping it down to the frame, swing arm and forks and having it all media blasted and powder coated?

Following on from that idea, has anybody used Custom Coatings in Bellshill for anything? Any good? Their prices seem not too bad, but I suppose only if they do a decent job.

Dreaming about how I would like it to turn out, in colour terms, would be chrome with metallic red pinstriping...I think leaving the engine and 'box powder black would break up the chrome nicely...

Am I dreaming here, or is the bike worth the effort?

4th May 2011, 06:45 PM
woodie

Quite a few of us have used Hammerite Smooth Silver but in spray cans as it is quite a good match for the original Silver from Suzuki..

I must admit I used brush on Hammerite once, and ONLY once, as it came out streaky and claggy. Soon rubbed that down and used a spray can.

Don't worry about the tape to much, it's only covering the access to the Pulse Generator and it's on the "dry" side of the engine casings. Beware! the proper cover (a "Suzuki" emblem on a flimsy screen printed ally disc) costs a bout £15

I like the black engine csings and "Dubious's" original engine was black..

As for chroming.. tis an expensive way to get some bling on a cheap and cheerfull bike. I have a chromed swing arm but that cost me £80 for just that.

There are lots of ally parts on the GS so if yer prepared for a bit of elbow grease getting the old polishing kit out is a cheap way of gettin a bit of shine on...

And is that a full nexxus system on there.. if so it should be stainless.. quite easy to get a bit of shine on that with a bit of polishing.
4th May 2011, 07:18 PM
chelskitel

Why noy just rub the frame down and spray it with hammerite as sir woodie suggests.
The front is easy to get to and its probably worth dropping the rear suspension and swing arm to check the bearings and give them a good greasing.
I made the same mistake with hammerite brush on but there were only a few rust spots so it was easy to rub it down and spray over.I think the brush on gives it better protection anyway so made a good undercoat.
4th May 2011, 07:31 PM
Ayrshire Joe

Hi buddy we weegie bound dudes could take a swatch at yer GS ? Like the GS peeps say it's fixable and could result in a nice wee GS ?

4th May 2011, 11:53 PM
tunedwolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Joe
Hi buddy we weegie bound dudes could take a swatch at yer GS ? Like the GS peeps say it's fixable and could result in a nice wee GS ?
Hey I'm quite happy for you guys to come up and have a look at her...I'll even make ya a cuppa and throw in a biscuit. Just as long as you don't mind the ferocious dog my mum has, or my mutt running about

The bike is at my mum's place because I live in the west end at the moment and there is nowhere that I can work on it without getting at least three parking tickets a day...don't get me started on that subject

If you want to come up and help out or just stand around drinking tea and making expensive sounding noises whenever I spot something else wrong send me a pm and I'll give ya my contact details

I have bought a new battery (settled on a Motobatt AGM type), so that should be here tomorrow at some point with any luck. I need to give the tank a quick flush out and fit a couple of new fuel hoses and then I will be able to kick it over and see if there's any life left in the engine. I'm hopeful, it can't all be bad...can it? First person to mention big ends gets it

I sort of agree on the hammerite smooth from a can to redo the frame, but now that the idea is in my head about how I would like it to look...well you see where my brain is heading....I just hope my wallet can keep up

I also bought myself a new helmet, it's only a cheapie Viper one with Bluetooth, but will do for now till I get through my test and break at least one bone and a cover and disc lock, not that I think anyone is going to nick it, much more likely for them to nick the cover and the lock
5th May 2011, 06:29 AM
ianmc73

I've not used custom coatings myself but know a few who have had their alloys done on cars, decent prices for really good job.
5th May 2011, 08:17 PM
woodie

From this......

What you can't see is the busted engine mounts, bent forks and electrical conduit as a L/hand handle bar. Along with numerous other busted and failed systems and a general patina of neglect and rust.! !

To this....

and a few incarnations inbetween..
5th May 2011, 10:00 PM
Fidge

I spent the Easter weekend and about £100 stripping the back end of my bike and repainting the rear part of the frame, swing arm dog bones and shock. I used satin black smooth hammerite. Its a good match, but I wish I had had longer to let the paint 'go off' before I had to put it all together again as there are a few marks here and there. Still I enjoyed doing it and will probably do it again in a few years if I still have the bike.

Good luck and have fun.

5th May 2011, 10:31 PM
tunedwolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie
Beware! the proper cover (a "Suzuki" emblem on a flimsy screen printed ally disc) costs a bout £15

And is that a full nexxus system on there.. if so it should be stainless.. quite easy to get a bit of shine on that with a bit of polishing.
Hey woodie,what can I say, I'm impressed...nice looking bike in the end. Those lights don't look like the twins I have on mine, what are they off of?

Ahh the dreaded cheap cover/ name plate money maker...well I have a pal that can sort that out for me. He's an architectural sign maker/ engraver. I'm sure if I sort out dimensions for it, he can rattle one off in no time flat. I'm assuming it's the same dimensions as the one on the other side. Either reverse cut with the word "Suzuki" raised and done in ally or stainless, or normal cut and coloured infill lettering should be doable. I'll speak to him and find out. If mine turn out ok and anyone else wants one made, I'll pass on his contact details

I'll be dead honest here and say, I haven't a clue whether it is a full Nexxus system or not, or if someone just blagged a badge and put it on there, or indeed what a Nexxus system is. It looks like the silencer is welded to a 2into1 mild steel downpipe, don't know if that's normal or not, but at least it's not going to fall off I have yet to hear it fire, so it could be blowing like an old tart for all I know. Whatever it is, it certainly looks like stainless, so should clean up nicely and take a good shine!
5th May 2011, 10:37 PM
tunedwolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidge
I used satin black smooth hammerite.
I don't know Fidge, I guess having had years of having to strip it off, rub it down, scrape it back etc before I could carry out repair or maintenance work, I have just grown to hate Hammerite with a passion. If nothing else, Hammerite is a tough finish, so it probably survives the dirt, stones and all the other crap on the roads better than most finishes. I still hate it though