Custom Search
1st December 2014, 09:39 PM
Bucko

Wow, that's a nasty case of goats my GS had it last year and it wasn't half as bad as that, flushing the engine through was a nightmare as well, just as you start to think it clearing, it shits a load more bits of shredded magnet! Not a hard fix tho as you found out, I used the exact same method to pull the fly wheel, beats buying an un-needed and expensive fly wheel puller.
2nd December 2014, 08:40 PM
tunedwolf

Regional Moderator ( Scotland - West )
"GS500 electro-mechanical boffin"

Smile

I see the flywheel mice have been at it again :d

Don't sweat the petty things...and don't pet the sweaty things...
2nd December 2014, 09:37 PM
bill

Regional Moderator ( North East )

Is it not part of the service schedule or your own schedule when you have an older bike?

Your Honour Lies in Loyalty

Ride a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and VFR400 NC30
17th December 2014, 01:40 PM
mjj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Wow, that's a nasty case of goats my GS had it last year and it wasn't half as bad as that, flushing the engine through was a nightmare as well, just as you start to think it clearing, it shits a load more bits of shredded magnet! Not a hard fix tho as you found out, I used the exact same method to pull the fly wheel, beats buying an un-needed and expensive fly wheel puller.
Yeah i can imagine it's going to take a while to get it all out! I have purchased a magnetic sump plug which should help me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedwolf
I see the flywheel mice have been at it again :d
Yeah the hungry little buggers! Hopefully they don't need feeding ever again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill
Is it not part of the service schedule or your own schedule when you have an older bike?
Yeah it appears that way Bill, i've added it to my maintenance schedule now haha.

So finally got started with putting her back together, hopefully get it finished this evening.

Replacement flywheel

Replacement magneto and gasket surface cleaned up

Cleaned the cylinder head mating surface, shes been running really lean even though i'm running massive jets (can't remember what sizes, think 62.5 and 145 mains but not sure on the 3rd jet) so going to raise the needle and see if that helps. Should have checked the plugs before as it backfires off throttle a lot.

New head gasket on

I've torqued the head up to 40nm, and the cam caps to 10nm, then timed her up but there doesnt feel like theres enough compression so maybe a tooth out from cams to crank?

Also my chain tensioner is shot, it wont compress and theres no slot for a screw driver to back it off as its fubard!!
22nd December 2014, 08:24 AM
mjj4

Seems like my year old motobatt is knackered, but i put her back together yesterday and she runs

Missed the sound of her, although i expect my neighbours haven't! need to MOT it after Christmas and go for a ride