Custom Search

The www.gs500e.co.uk Forums > Main Forum > Members Showcase

1st April 2015, 09:41 AM
woodie

Forum Moderator

I used my GS500 speedo drive but reamed out the centre bush to fit an RGV250 spindle.

Emperor of Berkshire! And drowner of Wood Lice...
2nd April 2015, 06:18 AM
LordLamb

Thanks for the info, I don't have the tools for that but I checked the part numbers and a bandit 600 speedo drive is the same as the gsxr/RGV one.

Snagged one on fleabay for not a lot.

I also had a few beers last night and had a crazy idea about running my new rentals upside down.

It looks AMAZING and they are staying like it!! Need to fit some L shaped brackets under the adjustable steering stops as they just hit the tank at the moment.
Attached Images
image.jpg (34.7 KB, 62 views)
2nd April 2015, 07:39 AM
LordLamb

Question; Exhaust Manifold Size

Question for you knowledgeable people;

What size diameter are the GS exhaust manifold/ports?

I'm watching a twin exhaust stainless arrow Bonneville exhaust system on fleabay. It would be a sweet mod and give me the look I'm after. It's also the same price as the Dekvic exhaust I was going to buy. It has exhaust manifolds which measure 38mm.

I could measure the ones I have but they are beat up and I'm the sort of person who measure 3 times and gets 4 different measurements.
10th April 2015, 07:56 AM
LordLamb

Well, despite a lack of interest progress continues.

Brake lines have been fitted and the calipers are being torn down ready for a rebuild.

I've also had a go with the GK76A swing arm. It's about a quarter of the weight of the GS, is considerably shorter and is designed to take up to a 160 rear tire on a gsxr/RGV rear wheel.

It bolts straight on! It's exactly the same width at the pivot as the GS. Ok, the bolt that runs through it and the frame is 2mm wider so the mounts have to be drilled out and longer dog bones are needed so the suspension clears the swing arm but I am amazed at the ease of it all.

Also, as its a RGV rear wheel the cush drive from the GS switches straight over which means no alignment issues with the chain.

Pictures will follow once I've got the longer dog bones and have drilled out the holes
10th April 2015, 11:15 AM
gl0ckage

Regular Forum Contributor

can you not change the bearings in the swinger to take the GS bolt?

Nopt sure on exhausts i can measure them if you still need them? I have my spare exhaust in the garden at the moment.
12th April 2015, 06:20 AM
LordLamb

Hi Glockage,

I don't know about the bearings. They seem to be different sizes but I don't know what the OD of both are. I'll have to see if I can find out but the parts list I have for the GSXR is in Japanese!!

I don't need the exhaust diameter any more as I spent the money I had aside on taking the misses away for the weekend. She puts up with motorcycle parts in the kitchen so it only seemed fair
12th April 2015, 12:42 PM
gl0ckage

most bikes fit the same bearings, GS bearings might fit 80% chance.

i'd research that first before hand
27th April 2015, 11:35 AM
LordLamb

Hi all,

so having looked into swing arm bearings i found the following;

GSXR400 GK76a bearings are; 25x33x30
1994 GS500 bearings are; 22x29x30

Stupid question but I assume that I can fit GS500 bearings in the GSXR swinger? both appear to have a 30mm OD...

Although I have no idea how to fit swing arm bearings and almost inevitably do not have a press, vice or other tools to actually drive out old ones and fit new ones.

Whereas, i do have the correct sized reamer and powerful drill so drilling the frame is easier?

Also, Glockage could you measure your exhausts? I need an accurate measurement of the OD of the down pipes.

I need to answer two things a) what maximum size tubes would fit as the GS ones seem to have an odd stepped ring b) is the link pipe neccassary? I'm probably going to go full 2-2 exhaust with no collector box and no link pipe (think sixties triumph/bsa/etc). Will this be a huge issue?

cheers all!
27th April 2015, 06:35 PM
gl0ckage

You've not told us what the numbers are. I user diameter cannot be 30 as there's a bigger number in the set you gave us. Also I'll measure them in the next few days.
27th April 2015, 07:03 PM
LordLamb

Cheers Glocakge,

I dont know what the numbers are! I lifted them straight off of parts micro fiches.

Given that you are right about outside diameter (stupid me) it looks like I can't swap the bearings and drilling the frame it is.

Thanks again and excuse my stupidity!!
1st May 2015, 06:18 AM
gl0ckage

GSXR 750 swingarm fits with no issues other than grinding the inner bushes from the frame

Last edited by gl0ckage; 1st May 2015 at 07:07 AM.