welcome
3rd February 2009, 10:50 PM
bigmanxxl
I.A.M. Active Member

Hiya
4th February 2009, 08:42 AM
dean0
Forum Supporter

hi, people. After spending a good month lurking around the forum, i figured it's about time to say hi and introdude myself. My name is dean and i live down in lydd, kent. I have recently purchased a 05' gs500 f as my first bike and i passed my test just over a week ago. Ive grown up with bikes , my uncle used to race them many years ago, my grandparents are leatherclad rock loving bikers, so it was invetible that i would someday get caught by the bug. I am a car lover tho aswell and before money got tight i used to do regular track days with my mr2's, all the mechanical and engine work was done by myself also so im not afraid to get my hands dirty .
Anyways enough about me.....
You will probably hearing more from me in the not so distant future as i now have to do some minor repair work to the bike, all thanks to a bloody coach spilling diesel all over a slip road on sat.

Btw fantastic site btw ;)
cheers
deano
4th February 2009, 05:25 PM
Ayrshire Joe
I hate grey squirrels!

Hello and Welcome

Diesel is not funny stuff I dodged an almost 11mile trail from Kilmacolm to Lochwinnoch only to come a croper outside my flat in Beith, went to put my foot down and it slipped. Away i went. Dropped the bike. Luckily only moved the levers round on the bar and scuffed the end. Hope you and your bike is not too worse for wear?
4th February 2009, 06:13 PM
bigmanxxl
I.A.M. Active Member

HIYA
4th February 2009, 06:34 PM
dean0
Forum Supporter

yep im ok, just bruised my knee which is a testement to good protective gear!
I was out with my brother and father in law, with the brother in law in front, and we were curving round to join a dual carriage way the slip road itself sweeps round in a fairly large arc. My brother in law hit the diesel and came off his bike first and i unfortunately hit the patch of diesel as i was trying to avoid hitting him.. luckily i just slid the bike so not too much damage to me or the bike ( as far as i can see) .... He wasnt so lucky... cracked rib and elbow and LOTS of bruising! His bike has minor damage to fairing and the stator cover cracked dumping oil all over the road, im hoping mine just needs new left fairing and new left side mirror and indicator, altho when i started the bike today for the first time since the accident, there was a clonk just before it started , and again when i shut it off and tried to restart, so will have alook into that on the weekend.. The police had a look and the trail of diesel went on for over a mile, heard from the very helpful poilice lady the next day that another biker had come off later on further up the road also.
4th February 2009, 06:38 PM
dean0
Forum Supporter

Yup just taken some pics before the light fails,think i got a busy weekend ahead of me.... lol..
4th February 2009, 08:04 PM
woodie
Pro-Active Forum Supporter

Hiya Dean.... sorry to hear about the spill...

welcome to the site, damaged fairing. .....RIP IT OFF... SET OF RENTHALS.. NICE MINI FAIRING..

BINGO ! Instant Streetfighter ! ! ! ! !

in case you hadn't guessed I like the streetfighter look...

Last edited by woodie; 4th February 2009 at 08:07 PM.
4th February 2009, 09:08 PM
Woz
Pro-Active Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie
damaged fairing. .....RIP IT OFF... SET OF RENTHALS.. NICE MINI FAIRING..

BINGO ! Instant Streetfighter ! ! ! ! !

in case you hadn't guessed I like the streetfighter look...

And here was I, thinking that in order to streetfight a bike you first had to skillfully crash it into a tree, giving you a reason tho change the front end

Welcome to the site dean0. It's a shame about the circumstances though.

With such a big spill (and plod witnesses) can your insurance claim against the council for the damage?
5th February 2009, 01:18 AM
dean0
Forum Supporter

altho we didnt catch the number plate of the coach, we do know that it was a stearings one so the police were going to contact the owners but said that very litle would probably come of it, as for insurance, i will more than likely not claim as excess is 250 and ive already got most of the parts to fix srted for less than �100. Ive spent a fair few years fixing mechanical bits on my cars, and have become fairly competent with spray painting, i have a full set of compressor and spray equipment in my workshop. After a couple of incidents on the track with my mr2's and some gravel ive had plenty of practice touching up paintwork... Figured it's going to be easier to sort myself than involve insurance and make claim, and potentialy increase my premium.
9th February 2009, 10:53 AM
Never-too-old
Forum Supporter

Having been a very bad person and away from the forum for ages I have probably missed scads of new members - so hello to all of them!