Custom Search
26th January 2009, 08:14 PM
Faddai

GS500 clean & freshen up

Hi,

I'm just about to bring home a '97 GS500e that has not been turned over for 5 years. Its 11 years old, but has only done 350 miles, so its still in pristine condition. I'm not at all familiar with bike mechanics, but used to service all my own cars. What should I do first? I'm thinking about an oil change and then just starting her up, but would value some advice from old hands at this kinda thing.

Thanks.
26th January 2009, 08:52 PM
monkeybiker

I'm no expert but I think I would want to turn it by hand a few times first to get everything moving and oiled up, and change the spark plugs.
26th January 2009, 11:00 PM
Anff
Forum Supporter

Not done it myself but the general advice I've seen about is that it's best to change the oil and filters (air and oil- check the airbox for signs of any animals nesting in there.
I've heard of occations where little rodents nest in the airbox.

When changing the plugs, I'd squirt a tiny bit of oil into the holes too/
27th January 2009, 07:52 AM
Ayrshire Joe
I hate grey squirrels!

Ditto, wee tad of oil in the plugs would help. As well as I would run her in gently for another few hundred miles. Then repeat the oil filter change exactly as you would with any new-ish engine. Should be ok if stored well. Just watch for the rubber on the tyres. The brake might need changed too!
27th January 2009, 05:40 PM
bill
Forum Supporter

I would clean all the fuel out as well, carbs, tank,lines etc.
Is the tank rusty inside?

Truth over Chaos

Your Honour Lies in Loyalty

Ride a CBR600F and VFR400 NC30
27th January 2009, 09:42 PM
woodie
Pro-Active Forum Supporter

Oil change, filter change. oil down plug holes and turn engine over with plugs out. running with plugs out smears oil up the bores and scrapes crud off. Replace pads on brakes. Replace the brake fluid, it is hygroscopic so could be crackered. New battery ! won't hurt ! give the tyres agood check. ANY sign if cracks, bin em!

after that, take a gentle run and then......ENJOY !.........
29th January 2009, 08:09 PM
maniac
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill
I would clean all the fuel out as well, carbs, tank,lines etc.
Is the tank rusty inside?
I'd pay particular attention to the carbs as Bill suggests, the fuel gels after as short a period of inactivity as 3 months, so you'll need to strip them out and clean the jets. Dr Pepper is recommended as a cleaning fluid. I know this from personal experience on a VW camper!

daily gs500 commuter
ZZR 600 tourer
1st February 2009, 10:37 PM
Faddai

Hey thanks to everyone for the tips. Great advice. I've just noticed I need a new battery too - this one's cells are all dried out and distorted. Dr Pepper?! Lol, I drink that stuff! Imagine what it can do to yer stomach.

Thanks
3rd February 2009, 08:29 PM
woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddai
Dr Pepper?! Lol, I drink that stuff! Imagine what it can do to yer stomach.
look up what they use Coke for and you'll never drink THAT either... cleaning engines, removing blood from accident scenes.... check out the net..
Today, 12:03 AM
Faddai

Quick update on the clean and freshen up job

So, quick update. We got her onto the trailer with lots of nice padding to safely transport to my back yard. A quick once over revealed just how 'new' this baby actually is! Only 375 miles with a full service at 362, and it had been in very tidy, dry and covered storage since - for the past 9 years!

Anyhow, the fuel valve had been set to primer since the previous owner tried to last start it, so no surprise that all the petrol had run into the engine. We drained out all the oil (and a litre or so of petrol too) which was a nice mid-golden colour. We replaced the old dried out battery with a nice new one, and put in a full drink of oil, and then started the bike with no spark plugs to lube it up. No problem so far. Then we put in new spark plugs, and a gallon of petrol. When we turned her over she started first time, and made a beautiful noise. And that's it! Needless to say I'm delighted, and can't wait to get this beauty out for a few miles.

The tyres are immaculate, no corrosion on the bike, and I believe I am now the proud owner of what must be the sweetest, and least worn GS500 in Scotland. I'll put a photo up in due course. But in the meantime, I have my theory test tomorrow, and my bike test next Friday. Hope to join the happy band of GS500E bikers within the fortnight.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Today, 11:54 AM
Woz

Sounds like you got incredibly lucky there... congrats

Good luck with the tests too.
Today, 12:19 PM
woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddai

The tyres are immaculate, no corrosion on the bike, and I believe I am now the proud owner of what must be the sweetest, and least worn GS500 in Scotland. I'll put a photo up in due course. But in the meantime, I have my theory test tomorrow, and my bike test next Friday. Hope to join the happy band of GS500E bikers within the fortnight.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
As the owner of the worlds rustiest, most worn, cantankerous, obstrepolous and clapped out GS500E I now officially hate you.....

honestly, I am glad you got a good un.... enjoy !
Today, 12:21 PM
Ayrshire Joe
I hate grey squirrels!

Well done you lucky fellow shireman. Also good luck with the tests.